Business Area: Finance
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
• To support on investment tax matters, including new acquisitions, restructurings, and asset management
• To support the tax team in managing tax compliance and operational matters, including tax reporting and risk management
• Providing tax support on new investments – considering the tax implications arising from proposed transactions, providing input into transaction documentation from a tax perspective, preparing material for investment committees, working with internal stakeholders to ensure efficient structuring, managing external advisers
• Undertaking periodical reviews of investment structures, liaising with the external fund managers and portfolio companies, providing support on internal projects, e.g., restructurings
• Drafting UK corporation tax and partnership returns
• Drafting VAT returns
• Assisting with US and Indian tax compliance
• Providing support with operational taxes to ensure appropriate tax is applied across all USS investments, working with Operations, Investment Accounts, and external custodians to achieve appropriate rates
• Monitoring the development of tax rules and assessing impact of new tax legislation on the business and investments
• Drafting material for internal committees
• Holds a professional tax qualification
• Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
• Tax compliance and advisory experience, ideally both in practice and in-house
• Technical knowledge of the UK tax system, including both direct and indirect taxes
• Ideal but not essential - awareness of international tax principles and operational taxes, knowledge and experience of financial systems
• Strong Excel skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build collaborative relationships with peers and multiple stakeholders
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first.