Business Area: Private Markets
Place of Work: London
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
Working with Higher Education employers to build a secure financial future for our members and their families.
PMG is responsible for the origination, investment and management of private market activity on behalf of the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS). PMG comprises c.60 individuals working across private equity, infrastructure, property and private credit with c.£20B in assets under management. PMG manages a diversified portfolio covering investments in directly-held private companies as well as joint ventures, partnerships, co-investment and fund (GP/LP) structures. PMG primarily invests in the UK, North America, Western Europe and Australia and is the largest UK pension fund investor in private market assets. Whilst the majority of assets comprise directly held ownership stakes in private companies, PMG also partners with many of the world’s largest private investors via an extensive programme of fund- and co-investments.
The successful candidate will join a pool of Analysts and Associates working across all investment strategies within PMG. For the first two years after joining PMG, Analysts will rotate across the main investment areas within PMG in order to develop a broad understanding of all aspects of private markets investing, strategy and asset management.
The role will also give Analysts the opportunity to participate in all aspects of the investment process across a mix of direct investment, co-investments and fund investments and will encompass the full breadth of PMG activity across origination and structuring of transactions to asset management and portfolio monitoring.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in all its forms.
• As part of the investment team, working across multiple transactions, your responsibilities will include:
• Investment due diligence (quantitative modelling and qualitative analysis of investment opportunities including preparation and review of commercial and technical due diligence);
• Co-authoring of Approval and Investment Committee papers and, subsequently, help to present these materials at committee stage;
• Collaboration with internal stakeholders including tax, investment legal, operational due diligence and compliance;
• Co-ordination of external advisors including investment banks, General Partners (GPs), external counsel and technical advisors
• Help to assess potential investment opportunities and macro themes alongside the PMG strategy team;
• Initiate and build relationships across advisory network and with investment professional peers;
• Assist asset management activities across PMG including interaction with GPs and oversight of their fund performance, interaction with senior management at the companies in which PMG invests in and attendance at shareholder meetings, monitoring of company performance against pre-determined financial and non-financial objectives, participation in value add and transformation activities
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent
• Post-graduation experience with a background in financial services, ideally in an investment context (investment management, investment banking, corporate finance, accounting, ratings agency, financial law or consulting)
• Prior exposure to private markets considered advantageous but not a prerequisite for the role
• Critical thinker with strong analytical and numerical skills that can be applied to company valuation and financial analysis, modelling skills considered a plus although training will be provided
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to develop internal and external relationships
• A strong team player contributing to a supportive and collaborative working environment
• Good work ethic and a self-starter
• Ability to work in the UK with occasional travel to Europe, US and Australia
USSIM is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recognise the diverse lifestyles and priorities of our employees and have reflected this in in the company’s Flexible Working Framework, which, wherever possible, supports employees to find a balance that works for them whilst ensuring we always put our members’ interests first