Business Area: Group Transformation
Place of Work: Liverpool
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
The Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) has circa 396,000 members, and over £60 billion in assets, we’re one of the largest private pension schemes in the UK and in the top 50 worldwide. Established in 1974, we’re entrusted by over 350 higher education sector employers to manage and administer the pension scheme and its investments through our two companies, Universities Superannuation Scheme Limited and USS Investment Management Limited.
To be the pension service of choice for the higher education sector for the long-term
As a Business Analyst working in the Business Analysis team, your role will be critical to the capture and definition of high-quality business requirements, supporting USS’ large and complex change portfolio and small change initiatives. You will develop key relationships with business and technical colleagues, senior and executive stakeholders across the organisation, as well as external service providers.
Ensuring that you maintain and develop your knowledge of USS’ business, products and services, the wider life and pensions industry and your business analysis technical skills, you will also take ownership of the responsibilities listed below whilst recognising the role requires personal flexibility and adaptability to support the business in the delivery of change.
• Ensure the rigorous application of USS’ Change Model and Business Analysis Methodology (BAM) frameworks to capture, validate, and document business requirements, including:
-Working with proposition, product and business owners to deliver requirements by establishing clear objectives, scope, impacts and business outcomes.
-Developing solution designs with internal and external partners, through a deep understanding of the change requirements, and validating these against USS’ design principles.
-Ensuring that business requirements are quality-assured through the peer group review process, appropriate approvals obtained and end-to-end traceability maintained.
-Guiding stakeholders at all levels through the various stages of change, ensuring business requirements are unambiguous and well understood.
• Work collaboratively with the Business Architect and IT Solution Architect to ensure proposed requirements and solution designs are impact assessed against USS’ architecture frameworks:
-Engage the Business and IT Solution Architects to assess solution designs, evaluate alternative solutions and understand the business and technical impacts.
-Ensure impact assessments are documented, reviewed and understood by all change stakeholders.
-Produce high quality inputs to the USS Design Authority to facilitate effective solution design reviews and approvals.
• Support the review, validation, and challenge of commercial impacts resulting from change requirements:
-Validate that third party solution designs are aligned to the agreed business requirements, identifying gaps and areas of challenge.
-Support stakeholders in their understanding of the impact assessment of change requirements.
-Articulate third party supplier solutions designs to senior stakeholders in the context of business requirements, enabling proposals & estimates to be challenged by USS stakeholders where appropriate.
-Validate that time and cost estimates are comparable to similar changes previously undertaken and applied rate cards are consistent with agreed terms.
• Work collaboratively with Test teams (internal and external) to support production of test plans, test scenarios, test scripts and acceptance criteria, ensuring traceability to business requirements and full test coverage.
• Support the continuous improvement of the Change Model and BAM frameworks by recognising the need for enhancements that deliver effective change.
• Support the team’s workload management by providing estimates for deliverables in support of capacity and project planning activities.
Excellent business analysis and problem solving skills;
Requirements elicitation through interview, workshop & observation;
Business Process Modelling techniques;
Requirements analysis and definition;
Excellent communication skills: able to present complex business solutions, both written and verbal, to key stakeholders;
Strong pensions administration and/or investment knowledge
• Industry recognised qualification in business analysis e.g. ISEB Diploma in Business Analysis;
• Data modelling
USSL is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.